Monday, August 19, 2013

The Secret Series: Book 1 (The Name of This Book Is Secret)

And just like the title of this blog post, yes it is.... well not really. Seriously, the Secret Series aren't a series that supposed to be kept secret because 1) It's a published book by a published author. 2) I'm blogging about it. I think that's a fair enough explanation, right? Onward, to the review! (forgive my Eragon speech, it rubs off on you after reading the book too many times to count)

The Characters (who, by the way, the author claims are not their real names, as its is "SECRET"):

Cassandra: the main heroine, who I'm not going to go into because she's much too complicated

Max-Ernest: one of Cass's sidekicks, who I'm also not going into because he's very much too complicated

Yo-Yoji: another one of Cass's friends, who...


WELL... you can kind of get where I'm going. So scratch that... or as I would say "pony-scratch" that and lets look at the basics. What kind of boring blog would this be if I just listed the characters and gave the book a grade?!? Not a good review at all... I mean, talk about boorrinnggg. So lets redo this and I'll break it down step by step...

Why You Should Care

I know, I know, another book that no one's ever heard of. Well, actually that's not true but regardless. For those avid readers who like a bit of fun and exciting, mixed with humor so funny that you don't laugh out loud but instead, smile at inside, then this is the right book for you. Ok, so I'm sure you've heard of let's say, A Series of Unfortunate Events (which, believe me, I liked at the beginning but felt it got so boring at the end). Okay, so that's a pretty popular series, and if you liked those books, then you just have to like the Secret Series. Just take a look at the author's name: Pseudonymous Bosch. Oh what a name! (Believe it or not, I actually thought that was his real name until I did some Googling). And then I realized, of course, it's a pseudonym... I mean, serious brain fart right?


The Plot: So Dangerous It's a SECRET

Oh sure, I'm going to do a review on a book that's secret. Silly me. Well, enter the world of... well... yourself. In the beginning of the book, Mr. Bosch downright tells you that he can't say anything that might indicate/imply the characters, in fact, he can't even tell you what their real names are, where they live, what friends they have, etc etc. And so, you pretend they live in your neighborhood. Yippee, you get to be not-really part of a book! And then Mr. Bosch decides to create a Chapter One-And-A-Half, full of x's that make it impossible to know what the real writing says. Oh great, now you've got an entire book full of pony scratch. But believe me, it gets better. I can't say more without completely ruining the story (which is good since it's "a secret") but full of snark, wit, and sarcasm, it's perfect for a bored-out-of-your-mind tween!


Characters: This Time, For Real

Very sorry for that previous hold-back on the characters, but I simply had to make a point. That characters don't just deserve to be listed, they deserve to be described to the fullest, with a plaque for their names, and.... who am I kidding! Absolutely not, that would be a waste of time so I'm about to do the exact same thing I just said I wasn't going to do... list the characters.

Cassandra (Cass): a survivalist who's convinced some kind of disaster is going to happen every second, typical crazy heroine, but level-headed enough to keep a secret (which is of utmost importance in this book... I mean, duh, it's called the Secret Series)

Max-Ernest (nickname: none): Parents couldn't decide which name to give him, so they settled on the who-knows-what name of Max-Ernest and got divorced (lovely family, no?)

The Midnight Sun: is nothing you need to know about... it's not important at all!

The Terces Society: Oh please, forget this name, erase it, scratch it out. Nope, not of the UTMOST IMPORTANCE!


Rating:

4.5 out of 5 sparkles... I admit, I was rather hopelessly attracted to reading this book (while I ate breakfast, painted my nails, etc etc.) There really is nothing else for me to say about this first book except that... it's good. And I hope you get that because if you don't, please stop reading this blog... Got it? Good! Hope you enjoyed that, if you didn't, sucks for you! Keep on SPARKLING!





















2 comments:

  1. Heyheyhey~

    Do Warriors! Or, your favorite book series, Eragon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... Warriors would mean having to re-read that series, which got boring when Firestar became leader (if I may say so myself... I probably just offended a whole bunch of Warriors fans, but who cares XD) I'll consider it, and Eragon is all too special to write about in just one short blog, it deserves so much more recognition XD

    ReplyDelete