Monday, August 26, 2013

Eragon: Why It's The Best Book Ever

Okay, so I figured I needed to do a tribute to Eragon, my one and beloved. Eragon, nothing holds any contest to you! I must admit though, I've definitely considered different books to be second to Eragon, but never first. Nope, none are up-to-par with my dearest novel. I could mention quite a few that really came close but just fell short:

The Harry Potter Series, oh yes, I had a major addiction to this series that I've read maybe ten times over, but I felt it just wasn't as... how do you say it... practical as Eragon. I'm not saying that dragons and Gallbatorix (BTW, that's the evil antagonist in case you couldn't already tell by his devilishly hot name) are practical, if anything, they're the opposite. But what I am saying is, the plots that lie under the main story are so epic, they build into the book very nicely and comfortably. Whereas in Harry Potter, most of the book is told from Harry's point of view, Eragon likes to also mash a few different scenes and perspectives up (from Roran, to Saphira, to even Nasuada)*.

The Lord of the Rings Series: To be truthful, this series probably shouldn't even be listed here but since there are so many Frodo fans out there, I figured I had to say something. Take it from someone who's done a Lord of the Rings marathon (the EXTENDED version okay?!) and tried reading the books. Maybe it's just me, but I was seriously falling asleep halfway through. There is just SO much dialogue and elvish songs that I don't even bother to sing... much less read. To be fair to all the staunch Hobbit supporters out there, Eragon has plenty of dialogue too... and the first time I read it, it struck me as a little draggy too. Fair enough? Good.

The Percy Jackson Series: could very well be second place if not for one thing. The reading level is just so....... elementary. I'm sorry, it's true. Other than that, everything is packed up very nicely: the humor, the serious parts. Oh my gosh, I just want to die when Annabeth and Percy share their first kiss!!! But seriously, too elementary, if anything.

Hope I wasn't too harsh to any fanatic fans of the books I mentioned. However, remember, this is coming from an Eragon bias! More on Eragon soon... but I think my next review might be about something nice, gory, and so suspenseful!













4 comments:

  1. Ah yes, your favorite series, Eragon...

    I knew you'd do a little review on it :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this is just an intro... I'm planning on a nice lengthy series on the wonders of the Inheritance Cycle. Remember the Big Bang Secret Garden Parody! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdjvgvT-v2g

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, this is just an intro... I'm planning on a nice lengthy series on the wonders of the Inheritance Cycle. Remember the Big Bang Secret Garden Parody! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdjvgvT-v2g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I watched it already, pretty funny actually. :)

      Delete